Sunday, May 17, 2015

Right Now

     Why is it ok for people to laugh at racism and adult bullying when it is in a movie or "socially acceptable" setting? Just because something is done under the pretense of humor does not make it ok. Shouldn't we be trying to break down stereotypes instead of reinforcing and supporting them?! Every time we place judgments on someone based on their appearance-- not knowing anything about them-- we are stereotyping, racially profiling, whatever you want to call it! We are dehumanizing them.

     Jokes made off a person's race, sex, religion, birthplace, or any other ridiculous reason is honestly ridiculous. Who are we to judge someone because of circumstances out of their control?! Did I choose to be a middle-class white girl born in America??! No! Am I grateful that I was? Of course. Does that make me superior to anyone in any way? Absolutely not.

     God has blessed me with opportunities to see things through the eyes of a girl who is not a middle-class white American. I have lived and slept with Karen refugees on the floor of a bamboo hut. I have eaten with my hands and thatched a leaf-based roof. I have talked with child soldiers and legless warriors who chose to join a hopeless fight simply because they knew it was right. I have heard testimonies of dozens of frightened women and children who have had to flee their villages in the middle of the night to avoid death, torture and rape. I have been told of how the soldiers tortured men and gang-raped women. I have seen pictures of headless and limbless bodies left to rot in the tropic sun. I have heard bombs go off and seen children weep with nightmares that last longer than just through the night. I have lived with illegal workers and slept in a concrete box with one small fan to cool a room full of people. I have looked into the eyes of the people who  risk their lives living illegally in a foreign country they will never be welcome in to be able to support their family on $10 a day. I have heard how to live in their own country would be even more dangerous and even more hopeless.

     Right now, there people are dying. In Nepal. In Syria. In Sudan. In Iraq. In Burma. Right now. Right now they need our help. Just because they have a language we do not understand, a culture we do not understand, or a religion we do not understand does not mean that they are any less worthy of our help.
    Imagine that the child buried in rubble for days with no food or water was your child. Imagine woman who was beaten and raped was your mom. Imagine the legless soldier was your father, and the person denied food and medicine was your brother.
Would you not be infuriated?? Would you not demand justice??!!! Would you not do everything in your power to save them? Feed them? Love them?
    
     Our generosity should never have a limit. As we have been blessed let us bless one another! As Christians, it is not only our privilege but our responsibility to feed the hungry, widows and orphans! Why would we shy from the second most important task Christ left us with?? And through showing this great love to our brothers and sisters across the world, we are able to show them the greatest love in all the world-- the love of Christ!

     I challenge you to find something to be your passion. Find someone to help. My passion is Burma. I love the Karen, Burmese, Kachin, Rohingya, the Christians, the Buddhists, the Animists and the Muslims. I will continue to study them, pray for them, support them, and raise awareness for them until I am no longer physically able to do so. If Burma is your passion, let me know! Let us grow in our love for the people of Burma together! If your passion is something else- great! I still want to know! Let us never settle for wondering if we could have done more... and let us start Right Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment