Saturday, March 12, 2011

Vietnam

Thank you all for your prayers! We are currently in Ho Chi Minh City (formerly known as Saigon). Wow. I thought the traffic was crazy in Bangkok... I was wrong. It is CRAZY here. There are at least a hundred motorbikes on each street. Center lines don't mean anything. Lights and pedestrian signs are optional. Blinkers are pretty much nonexistent. I've been honked at but not hit (yet). Oh, did I mention people drive their motorbikes on the sidewalks too?
This city is very fascinating. There is a drastic difference between the poor and rich buildings-- though they are right next to each other. Sidewalk is pretty much just another word for market and chair. There are people EVERYWHERE. There are SO many peddlers and they love us. Many times they will follow you around until you finally buy one of their items. I think I'm going to have a lot of $1 souvenirs when I get home.  
A few hours ago we visited a museum concerning the Vietnam War created by the Communist Party. It was both intriguing, heartbreaking, and a little eye-opening seeing as I did not know much about the war beforehand. It was an interesting experience being able to see it from their point of view. 
We are about to go explore the night market and hopefully eat some dinner. I will talk to you all again soon. 
In Christ's love
-Kelsey

2 comments:

  1. Don't you love the big cities?! They're so crazy. Traffic is insane! Hope you have a blast! Take a motorcycle taxi if you can! (I'm not recommending this since its dangerous, but once in a lifetime experience)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think they're actually more than my mind can comprehend. :P everything feels like a maze. i would love to ride a motorcycle but i don't think its gonna happen unless i personally knew the driver. i'm totally gonna try out a tuk tuk tho

    ReplyDelete