Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I'm in love

The moment I stepped out of the van and saw the kids running down the hill to say hello to me and the team, my heart was theirs. I have never seen children so beautiful! They are so precious, sometimes I remember that I only have a few weeks left with them and my heart breaks.
I feel like there are so many stories I could share that I don't even know where to begin... but I'll try to give you a decent picture of what life has been like for me these past few weeks living with the Karen children in northern Thailand.
We started out with eight children because there is a 5-week summer break and those with parents went back to their families for a short while. Now, because the families are so poor, they are back at the camp and we have about 20 children and a few adults. The children range in age from 6 to 14 but everyone looks and acts alot younger than their actual age. There are 3 boys close to my age that speak English (sometimes), and they have become my brothers. They tease me and hit my like I'm their sister, and of course I hit them back. I love them very much. All the people in the camp are of the Karen tribe. It is not part of Karen culture to hug or hold, but the children love to be held and kissed and loved on. I don't think there's anything I love more than holding a child on my lap or holding my hand or kissing me goodnight. They have gripped my heart and are not letting go.
Everyone calls me "Teacher" (which actually sounds more like "Teacha" or "Tee-ah"). It was weird at first but I'm getting used to it. Every morning we wake up at 6 am for worship. They sing and dance and pray and recite scripture and listen to a short sermon everyday twice a day. I love it.
After worship we get brooms, go outside, and sweep the leaves and the loose dirt into piles and burn them. (Unfortunately by about 2 o'clock all the leaves have fallen from the trees and no one could tell that we ever swept.) At about eight, we eat breakfast-- usually consisting of rice, fish paste and a vegetable. Because they know I like eggs, they'll usually cook some with an onion just for me, even though I told them not to. They love to serve as much as they can.
After bfast the children will play outside before it gets too hot. Once the heat sets in, we may watch a movie, or take a nap. At around noon we'll have a small snack, usually of soy milk and a few cookies to hold us over until dinner. Everyone takes a shower at around 4 or 5 while it's still hot enough to handle the cold water, but about to cool down so you don't continue to sweat (as much). There is no running water so its just pouring cold water over yourself. At first this was a little hard and weird but God is helping me get used to it.
At around 5 we have dinner-- more rice, maybe potatoes or chicken, and a veggie. At 7 we will have worship again and then watch an episode of Mr. Bean or Tom and Jerry before bedtime at 9 (or before). Those are their two favorite shows and the can (and do) watch them over and over again.
I am getting to understand and learn about Karen culture and some of the language. I love being able to sing with them during worship and tell them "goodnight" and "I love you" in their own language. They are gracious to me though in my mispronounciation.

Tomorrow I will tell you how God has been stretching me and some prayer requests, but for now, I am very tired and we have a big day tomorrow of showing some kids the big city for the first time. The smile on their faces is priceless as they are introduced to a world they have never known (most have never left the jungle and say that a 7-11 is a big shop). I'll be here in Chiang Mai until the 8th and will do my best to give you more information while I'm here and the internet is fast enough for me to update this. Thank you for your prayers. God is working in my life and I pray He is in yours as well! Naluggy! ("Good night" in Karen)

-Kelsey

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are having a great time. I am praying for you. Marylynn Morse

    ReplyDelete
  2. So now the only logical question is how many kids do you want after you're married?

    I'm glad you're having a blast and will be praying! God can really shake up your world on a mission trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the prayers! I definitely need them and really appreciate it.
    Luke, sorry to disappoint but I still don't plan on birthing any kids. Adopting though is looking more and more like something I want to get into.

    ReplyDelete