Friday, February 4, 2011

Money Money Money

    I never knew that traveling could cost so much money! My naive little mind was content in believing that the only real cost was airfare and food. Those thoughts were quickly shattered! Preparation for moving to Thailand for six weeks has already done a good job at emptying my bank account. Between shots, passports, clothing, and my expenses already in play, I find myself constantly stuck thinking about the dreaded "M word." Ahh, money--just the other day I exclaimed in frustration to a friend, "I hate money! Why can't we just all go back to trading goats or something?!" Which, of course, would not actually improve my situation since I do not own any goats....
     Though it is easy to worry about how this is ever going to work out, there is always a small voice calming me and reminding me to stop thinking and have faith. I cannot restrict God or keep Him within certain bounds. To view God as caged would be to see Him incorrectly. Praise the Lord- He is in control. I can rest assured that He is guiding me through this pre-trip process and drawing me closer to Him through it. 

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths. 

Update: Thank you so much to those that have already supported me with a financial gift! My heart is overwhelmed with the love that I feel. For those of you who are still interested in giving, you may write a check to either Vision Beyond Borders (with a note and my name) or to me. All money sent to VBB goes strictly to the airfare which is a little under $2000. If you send it to me it will go toward food/living expenses while in Thailand (which is in the area of $6-700). 

Prayer Requests: For the children in Thailand and the soldiers that are persecuting them. May the love of Jesus shine upon them so it is impossible for them not to respond. 
Also, that I can use these next five weeks wisely and prioritize my time. I would love to learn some phrases in the Karen language before I go and begin putting into practice some of the cultural differences here that would offend them there (like sitting with my legs crossed).  

2 comments:

  1. How exciting (& maybe a little nerve-racking?) for you as you prepare for your first big trip across the ocean! We love you, Kelsey and admire you for the good you'll do on your mission of love. Have a wonderful experience while you spread peace & good will to those less fortunate. Take good care of yourself and be careful over there so that your parents won't be too worried, which parents tend to do no matter what. Bless you and best wishes, Aunt Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and no crossing your legs! XO BK

    ReplyDelete